The More You Know
A rainforest terrarium is a mini-ecosystem made in a sealed container. They are mostly self-sustaining, with the plants watering themselves through transpiration and condensation. The sealed container combined with the heat entering the terrarium allows for the creation of a small scale water cycle. This happens because moisture from both the soil and plants evaporates in the elevated temperatures inside the terrarium. This water vapor then condenses on the walls of the container, and eventually falls back to the plants and soil below.
Examples of large scale ecosystems are tropical rainforests which supply high amounts of oxygen that we breathe in daily, making them a vital part of this world.
Create Your Own Terrarium
Making Terrariums are a simple way to lean about the elements of the ecosystem while creating beautiful decorations for your home, office or school. Below are the supplies you need to create your own ecosystem.
- Jar, tank or bottle with lid
- Activated Carbon/Charcoal
- Moss or Pistachio shells
- Organic Potting soil
- Small tropical plants (ie; Succulent, Palm, Air-plant)
- Fresh Moss
- Mini Spray Bottles
- Frog, worm and other small critters (Real or Fake)
- Add 1 inch of pebbles to the bottom of the planter.
- Add a single layer of activated carbon. This will filter the water and help with clarity.
- Add a layer of moss and /or pistachio shells.
- Add a little bit of potting soil
- Plant small tropical plants.
- Add fresh moss to the top of the soil.
- Decorate with a your small critters.
- Lightly spray a little bit of water on your terrarium plants.
- Place a sealed Lid on your terrarium.
- Place your terrarium where you can enjoy it and it will get indirect sunlight.
Rainforest Animals Coloring Sheet
*To print, right click and save image.