The More You Know
Scientists estimate that about one million species of animals live in the ocean. Some of the smallest animals on Earth can be found in the ocean. The largest animal ever to live on Earth is an ocean mamma called the blue wale. Ocean plat life are called algae. Large algae like seaweed and kelp also grow in the ocean and provide food and shelter for marine animals. Temperature, ocean depth, and distance from the shore determine the types of plants and animals living in an area of the ocean
Create Your Own Ocean Life
Using slime, create an ocean life slime display that makes for beautiful decorations and sensory tools to increase motor skills. Below are the supplies you need to create your own slime ocean.
- 1/2 cup clear craft glue
- 1/2 teaspoon borax
- 1 1/2 cups hot water, divided
- 1-3 drops of blue food coloring
- 1/4 teaspoon silver or gold glitter
- Small ocean toys and shells
- In a large mixing bowl, combine a 1/2 cup of glue with 1/2 cup of hot water and mix well.
- Mix a 1/2 teaspoon of borax into your remaining 1 cup of hot water and stir, letting the borax dissolve.
- Pour the borax water into your glue mixture and stir (ingredients should start coming together quickly to form slime).
- Keep mixing with your hands for a few minutes to incorporate as much of the borax-water mixture as possible.
- Pour out the excess water, remove the slime from the bowl and knead the slime in your hands for a couple of minutes.
- If using large bowl, make a second bath, if using a small bowl, split batch in half and set one aside.
- Add 1-3 drops of blue food coloring to remaining slime and kneed well, set aside.
- With second half of slime, kneed in glitter
- Mold blue slime to the bottom of the bowl
- Place clear glitter slime on top
- For added sensory, add small sea animal figures and shells to top of slime.
Ocean Life Coloring Sheet
*To print, right click and save image.